One Person injured in Anten Street fire
THUNDER BAY, ONTARIO ~~~~~ December 26, 2022 (LSNews) Platoon Chief A J. Gowanlock reported in a media release Thunder Bay Fire and Rescue Service (TBFRS) responded to a structural fire on Wolseley St. at noon on Christmas Day. Upon arrival, smoke was showing from the second floor of the story-and-a-half residential home and a second alarm was initiated to bringing more units to the scene.
A charged hose line was brought to the rear of the home in an attempt to gain access to the structure and suppress the fire. Additional pumpers on scene, secured a water source, laddered the front of the house to gain access to the roof and attic spaces and also applied water to the structure. Primary searches by fire crews found no occupants within the home and debris made the interior attack difficult.
The fire was entrenched in the structure of the second floor walls and attic spaces and copious amounts of water were used to bring it under control. It took several hours for the fire in the roof to be extinguished due to the difficult nature of the multiple roof lines and the cold temperatures.
Fire and water damage were extensive to the home and fortunately houses on either side were not damaged by fire. TBFRS responded to this incident with 6 pumpers, 1 aerial ladder truck and a Command unit.
In a 2nd media release Platoon Chief A J. Gowanlock reported Thunder Bay Fire Rescue was kept very busy during Christmas with 3 fires along with motor vehicle collisions and medical calls. A fire on Wolseley St. was very difficult to contain as the fire entered wall and ceiling spaces in the two story structure. Interior conditions of the house also hampered the fire suppression efforts during the 9 hours it took to extinguish and the structure suffered extensive fire and water damage.
At approximately 3:00 am on the 26th firefighters responded to a house fire on Anten St. but, a quick interior attack by the first arriving pumper helped contain the blaze to one area of the house, limiting fire damage. Unfortunately, an occupant was injured in that fire.
The third fire was a vehicle fire on Strachan Cres. that was brought under control before it could damage the house it was parked next to.
The public is reminded to ensure they have working smoke detectors on every level and that portable home heaters are never to be left near any combustibles.
#LSN_PublicSafety #LSN_TBayFire #LSN_TBay
Below Please Rate and Share this story
To help us learn what is important to you