Education Workers Strike Averted
for 55,000 education workers
TORONTO, ONTARIO ~~~~~ November 20, 2022 (LSNews ) Education Minister Stephen Lecce stated in a media conference that Ontario reaches a tentative deal with education 55,000 workers
Schools Remain Open: CUPE Strike Averted
Nov 20, 2022
The Government of Ontario and the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) have been successful in negotiating a tentative deal. As a result, all our schools will remain open and operational to in-person learning. We value our CUPE staff members and are pleased that an agreement has been reached. We thank you for your patience, understanding, and cooperation.
“There will be no job action tomorrow,” the union’s bargaining team said in a Tweet.
“Our members will be reporting to schools Monday
The deal still needs to be ratified by CUPE members.
A vote is expected to begin on Thursday and will be completed by next weekend.
If CUPE members vote not to ratify the tentative agreement, the union and province will have to go back to the negotiation table.
CUPE has previously said the government had come to the table with a 3.59 per cent wage increase for workers.
CUPE said both sides had agreed to a $1-per-hour raise each year, or about 3.59 per cent annually.
Media Relase from Stephen Lecce Minister of Education
TORONTO — Today, Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education, issued the following statement regarding a tentative central agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Workers (CUPE). This is the first tentative central agreement reached through the 2022 round of central collective bargaining in the education sector:
“Throughout these negotiations, our government’s focus has always been keeping students in the classroom without disruption.
I am pleased to formally announce that the Crown, the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), and the school board trustee associations, have reached a tentative agreement that keeps schools open so that kids can stay in class. I know this is welcome news to all students, parents, and workers alike, who now have the certainty they’ve been looking for.
This is not a win for governments or education unions, it’s a win for Ontario families who finally have peace of mind knowing their children will remain in the classroom.
After two and a half years of unprecedented disruptions, nothing matters more than stability in our schools. We are pleased to have reached a deal today that will make sure kids are in class catching up on their learning.”
Below Please Rate and Share this story
To help us learn what is important to you
#LSN_ONNews #LSN_TBay #LSN_SSM #LSN_NorWest