Beat the Silent Killer: Prevent CO in Your Home
Ontario, and Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services reminds all residents
SAULT STE MARIE, ONTARIO ~~~~~ November 2, 2022 (LSNews) Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week runs from November 1-7 in Ontario, and Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services reminds all residents to prevent carbon monoxide in your home by getting all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually.
“We want to make sure everyone is safe from CO. More than 65% of injuries and deaths from carbon monoxide occur in the home,” said Sault Ste. Marie Fire Chief Peter Johnson. “Stay safe. Get all fuel-burning appliances inspected by a licensed contractor annually.”
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services also reminds you to install CO alarms in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles.
“You must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home, if your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage,” said Public Education Officer Aaron Gravelle. “A working carbon monoxide alarm is for the safety of everyone in your home and some homes require multiple CO alarms to ensure that safety.”
What is CO?
- CO is known as the silent killer because it is a colourless, tasteless, and odourless gas that can be deadly.
- CO is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices such as furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators and vehicles.
Prevent CO in your home:
- Ensure fuel-burning appliances, chimneys and vents are cleaned and inspected annually.
- Check that all outside appliance vents are not blocked.
- Gas and charcoal barbeques should only be used outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Never use barbeques inside garages, even if the garage doors are open.
- Portable fuel-burning generators should only be used outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from windows, doors, vents and other building openings.
- Ensure all portable fuel-burning heaters are vented properly, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
- Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor inside a garage, even if the garage doors are open. Always remove a vehicle from the garage immediately after starting it.
Know the symptoms of CO:
- Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death.
- If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home immediately. Then call 9-1-1 or your local emergency services number from outside the building.
- If your CO alarm sounds, and no one is suffering from symptoms of CO poisoning, check to see if the battery needs replacing, or the alarm has reached its "end-of-life" before calling 9-1-1.
Know the sound of your CO alarm:
- Your CO alarm sounds different than your smoke alarm. Test both alarms monthly and make sure everyone in your home knows the difference between the two alarm sounds.
- Don’t be confused by the sound of your CO alarm’s low-battery warning. Follow your CO alarm manufacturer’s instructions so you know the difference between the low-battery warning, the “end-of-life” warning, and the alarm alerting you to the presence of CO in your home. CO alarms expire – check the date of manufacture on the back of the alarm.
For more CO safety tips, contact Public Education Officer Aaron Gravelle at (705) 949 – 3333, or visit saultstemarie.ca/firesafe or COsafety.ca.
- 30 -
#LSN_Fire #LSN_ONNews #LSN_SSM